Monday, December 20, 2010

Salmon with Smokey Lemon Aioli

Salmon is my absolute favorite seafood.  If I lived where I could get salmon every week, I would have it for dinner at least once a week.  Out of all the ways I fix salmon, this recipe is my absolute favorite.  I first had a version of this recipe when I was in college and was invited to an older couple's house for dinner.  Of course I didn't get the recipe, so I had to figure it out later.  This is my version of the recipe.  It is simple to fix, cooks quickly, and tastes heavenly.  Enjoy!

Salmon with Garlic and Lemon Ailoi
1 salmon filet
2/3 c mayonnaise (I prefer Best Foods, regular or reduced fat is fine)
3 gloves garilc
2 tbsp lemon juice (bottled for from a fresh lemon)
3/4 tsp smoked paprika (has to be smoked)
1 tbsp dill (dried is great to use)
1 tsp Mesquite garlic salt (if you don't have this, a hickory smoked salt would work, or just plain salt coupled with the smoked paprika is fine)
Dash black pepper
Optional spices : 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, 1/2 tsp crushed fennel seed


In a small bowl, mix the mayonnaise, garlic, lemon juice, paprika, mesquite garlic salt (or salt), black pepper, and optional spices.  I like to let this set in the refrigerator for about 1-2 hours to allow the flavors to mingle.  If you don't have this time, 15-30 minutes will suffice.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Lightly grease a broiler pan and place the salmon on it skin side down.  Spread all the aioli sauce over the salmon. 


Cook the salmon for about 25 minutes.  The sauce should be tanned, and the salmon should flake with a fork when it is done.  Serve while hot.


Another way I love to cook this salmon is grilled on a cedar plank.  To cook the fish on a cedar plank, you have to place the board in water for about 10 minutes.  Most directions say to let it soak for an hour.  That is fine and dandy when you are cooking a meat for a long period of time, but the salmon doesn't need more than 25 minutes to cook.  Letting the board soak for about 10 minutes will keep it from burning through, but still allow it to start smouldering and give the fish flavor.  After soaking the board, place the fish on the board and apply the sauce.  Cook the fish in a medium heat grill for about 25 minutes, or until the sauce is tanned and the fish flakes.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I will have to give this a try! Brian has discovered salmon and loves it, while I am more neutral about it. I do love the flavor smoked paprika gives things, though!

    ReplyDelete