Sunday, November 14, 2010

Breakfast Casserole


I am not a casserole person at all.  I just don't like casseroles.  I think my dislike of casseroles stems from all the peas and other left over vegetables my mother used to put in her casseroles.  But this casserole is for breakfast and there aren't any leftovers, so I don't mind making it at all.

Even though it is a breakfast casserole, I don't think I've ever made it for breakfast.  I like making it for dinner because it is simple and quick to make, and it is filling.

Breakfast Casserole
1 package Jimmy Dean Sausage (I like the sage version myself)
2 medium shallots, or 1 large shallot, finely chopped
10 eggs
1/2 c milk
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 1/2 tbsp chives (I use dried)
8 slices of sourdough bread, from a long loaf, cut into quarters
1 to 2 c cheddar cheese, shredded

In a medium skillet, cook the sausage and the shallots until the meat is starting to brown.  Make sure to break the sausage into small pieces.


While the sausage is cooking, spray a microwave safe casserole dish (2 1/2 quart) with cooking spray.  Spread the bread onto the bottom of the casserole dish, making sure to cover the bottom of the dish as best as possible.  In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, salt, pepper, and chives.  Mix with a whisk until the eggs are beaten.









Once the meat has finished cooking, spread the meat over the bread, then cover the meat with half the cheese.  We like food cheesy around here, so I probably add more cheese than I should.  Then pour the eggs over the cheese, making sure to distribute the eggs throughout the dish.  I then add some more cheese for good measure!


Place the dish in the microwave and cook for about 15 minutes.  At the end of 15 minutes, if the center of the dish is still liquid, place the dish in the microwave for 3-5 more minutes.  Continue to cook until the center is firm and not liquid.

Serve the casserole with some fresh, or canned fruit for a filling meal.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment